This 1959 Porsche 356A is one of 1,331 Convertible D models produced for a single model year and is finished in Ivory over a red leatherette interior. The car was originally imported to New York and was sold new in September 1959 from Hoffman Motor Car Company. The second owner purchased it in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in April 1961, and would use it for country touring and Allegheny Region PCA events before placing it in storage in 2000. The car came to California after being acquired by the selling dealer earlier this year. Power is provided a numbers-matching 1.6L flat-four paired with a four-speed manual transaxle, and equipment includes a black convertible top, a red parade boot, a black tonneau cover, a Panasonic tri-band radio, and four-wheel drum brakes that were overhauled by the seller in preparation for the sale. This Convertible D is now offered in California with a Kardex, a Porsche service book, a Driver’s manual, operating instructions for the convertible top, a letter from the previous owner, and a clean Pennsylvania title.
Convertible D models were produced between 1958 and 1959, with coachwork contracted to Karosseriewerke Drauz in Heilbronn, Germany, hence the “D” model designation. All 1,331 were sold as 1959 models, and notable differentiations included roll-up side windows and a windshield that was 3″ taller than the Speedster’s. This example is finished in Ivory (5704) with a black convertible top, and the seller states that parts of the car received paintwork during previous ownership. Chips and discoloration can be seen around the body, and pitting is noted on the chrome bumperettes and moldings along with metallic silver tape covering the chrome windshield pillars. Two charts of paint-depth readings from around the body are provided in the gallery, and the seller notes “99” stampings on the front and rear deck covers.
Lemmerz 15″ steel wheels are finished in silver and wear chrome baby moon hubcaps and 165-15″ Pirelli Cinturato radial tires. According to the seller, the wheels are stamped with 1-59 date codes and the hubcaps are stamped with 2-59 codes. Braking is handled by four-wheel drums, and the system was overhauled in preparation for the sale with a replacement master cylinder as well as new brake lines, wheel cylinders, and brake shoes. A black tonneau cover and a red parade boot accompany the car, and the black convertible top is pictured in both its raised and lowered positions in the gallery.
The interior is trimmed in red leatherette with matching door panels, oatmeal square-weave carpets, black rubber floor mats, and an ivory and red dash. Convertible D models were produced with coupe-style padded seats and storage pockets in the door panels, and additional equipment includes red lap belts and a tri-band radio fitted under the dash.
Green-letter VDO instrumentation consists of a 6k-rpm tachometer, a 120-mph speedometer, and gauges for oil temperature and fuel level. The five-digit odometer shows 87k miles, approximately 100 of which have been added by the seller. True mileage is unknown.
The numbers-matching 1.6L Normal flat-four is equipped with a pair of Zenith 32 NDIX downdraft carburetors and was factory rated at 59 horsepower and 81 lb-ft of torque. The car is said to have been serviced and maintained by the long-term owner from the early 1960s until 2000, when the car was placed in storage.
Power is sent to the rear wheels through a numbers-matching four-speed manual transaxle. Additional underside photos are provided in the gallery.
The engine stamping reads *74906* and matches the serial listed on the Kardex.
The Kardex shows the original serial numbers and delivery date, and lists the importing dealer as Hoffman in New York, USA. A letter from the previous owner of 59 years is viewable in the gallery, and the seller has provided a driving and overview video below.