This 1956 Aston Martin DB2/4 was completed on May 28, 1956 and is one of just 199 Mark II examples built during two years of production. Chassis 1114 was delivered new by Tice & Son Ltd. to its first owner in Bournemouth, UK, before moving to the US early in its life. The numbers-matching 2,922cc DOHC inline-six remains fitted and is paired with the original four-speed gearbox and original rear end. A large-valve cylinder head was installed in 1958 along with performance intake manifolds. Finished in dark blue over tan Connolly leather, the car also features twin SU carburetors, Girling drum brakes, Raydyot fog lamps, and wire wheels with body-color rims. Service performed in summer 2020 included refurbishing the fuel tank, refreshing the cooling system, performing a tune-up, and more as outlined below. This DB2/4 is now offered by the selling dealer with a British Motor Industry Heritage Trust certificate, copies of its original build sheet and factory service log, and a clean Texas title that lists it as a 1955 model.
The DB2/4 was introduced in 1953 as a successor to the DB2. Styling revisions included a wrap-around windshield, more-substantial bumpers, and repositioned headlights. The saloon variant also gained rear seats and a hatchback. Mark II production began in 1955, at which point coachbuilding for the model was shifted to Tickford in Newport Pagnell. Characteristics of Mark II DB2/4 include a raised roof line, a redesigned hood layout, tail fins, and bubble-type taillights.
Originally finished in dark gray, the aluminum bodywork on this car was repainted blue during a refurbishment performed several years ago. Closeups in the photo gallery show the finish, trim, glass etchings, and lighting. The latter includes Lucas blue-dot headlamps and Raydyot fog lamps. A vintage Orange County Auto Club water-transfer decal is retained on the rear hatch glass.
16” wire wheels feature body-colored rims and chrome spokes and are secured with two-eared knock-offs. They wear Avon Turbospeed Mk 4 tires. Girling hydraulic brakes utilize 12″ drums, the outer surfaces of which have also been painted blue. Independent front suspension incorporates a transverse torsion bar, while the solid-axle rear is positioned by trailing arms and a Panhard rod. Coil springs and Armstrong lever-arm shock absorbers are featured all around.
The cabin has been re-upholstered in tan in lieu of the original green trim, with leather covering the front bucket seats and contoured fold-down rear bench as well as the door panels and dash. Tan carpeting lines the floors, center tunnel, and rear cargo area, and a matching-color headliner is fitted up top. A split, wood-rimmed steering wheel is situated on the right-hand side of the burl wood-accented dash.
Smiths instrumentation includes a 140-mph speedometer and 6k-rpm tachometer, as well as a combination gauge showing oil pressure, amperage, coolant temperature, and fuel level. The five-digit odometer shows 64k miles, about 100 of which have been added by the selling dealer. The headlight switch was replaced in summer 2020.
The 2.9-liter VB6J inline-six features dual overhead camshafts, hemispherical combustion chambers, and twin SU HV6 carburetors. An uprated cylinder head with larger valves was a factory option, and was fitted to this car’s engine in 1958 according to copies of Aston Martin service records. Upgraded intake manifolds were also installed at that time. Servicing carried out in summer 2020 included steam cleaning and chemical-pressure flushing the radiator, restoring the fuel tank, refreshing the ignition components, and performing a tune-up. A new thermostat, thermostat housing, and brake fluid reservoir were also installed. Results of a compression test performed by the selling dealer are shown in the gallery below, displaying readings of between 155 and 170 psi for each cylinder.
Power is sent to the rear wheels through a four-speed manual transmission and a 3.54:1 rear end. A spare wire wheel wearing an older tire is housed in a compartment underneath the rear of the car. Copies of factory records note that a twin exhaust was installed in 1958, though a single exhaust is currently fitted.
Markings shown in the composite photo above are also shown individually in the gallery below. They include chassis number AM/300/1114, engine number VB6J/656, gearbox number DBCW/462, and rear axle number F55 24.
A copy of the factory build sheet lists the original colors and component numbers, and an additional page copied from factory records describes service carried out through March 1958. The BMIHT certificate is pictured in the gallery below. The video below includes a walk around, views of the interior, and a start up.